Maisemore Bridge

Coming soon...

In the meantime here's the entry in Wikipedia:

The construction of the bridge was commenced in 1939 but was stopped during the war of 1939-45. It was completed in 1956.

The bridge stands on or near the site of at least six previous bridges. The first recorded one had a cross with an inscription stating it was begun by William Fitz Anketil circa A.D. 1230.

The next known bridge was recorded as "cut down" by royalist besiegers of Gloucester in 1643 which suggests it might have been a wooden structure: It is known to have been rebuilt of timber.

The parishioners of Maisemore were, by ancient custom, liable for the repair of the bridge, but this apparently proved beyond their means as in 1709, they were fined £200 for non-repair. At the same time the County Justices voted £200 towards "a good substantial brick and stone bridge". The latter as destroyed by great floods and in 1777, trustees were established by act of parliament to build a new bridge in place of a temporary wooden one which had been built lower down the river. A new two-arch brick bridge was begun in 1785 by Thomas Badford, the cost being defrayed by tolls levied by the trustees until 1795.

The trustees continued to maintain the bridge until 1936, when by agreement their powers were ceded to the Gloucester County Council. This bridge was demolished in 1939 to make way for the present structure and a temporary timber bridge was erected which carried the traffic from 1939 to 1956.



... and as it was:





... and as it is now: